Section Leaders' Duties
ALCTS elected leaders have specific tasks at and between ALA meetings.
- Coordinates the plans, activities, and programs of the section, assuring that they are responsive to the needs of members and consistent with ALCTS procedures.
- Serves as a voting member of the ALCTS Board and attends all ALCTS Board meetings.
- Reports to the ALCTS Board the activities, programs, publications, continuing education, etc., of the section, and makes recommendations regarding them.
- Presides at the Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference meetings of the section executive committee, sets the agenda in consultation with committee members, and recommends to the executive committee such action as is deemed to be in the interest of the section.
- Verifies that program budget requests have been planned and submitted to the Budget and Finance Committee.
- Sees that bylaws are observed by officers and members of the section and that the orders of the executive committee and of the section are carried out.
- Coordinates internal review of the section according to the Organization and Bylaws Committee schedule.
- Prepares the annual report of the section for the ALCTS News.
- Verifies that section and committee minutes and reports are submitted.
- Attends as many meetings as possible of the section's committees during the Midwinter Meeting and the Annual Conference.
- Appoints committee members or representatives whose posts are created or become vacant during the year in office.
- Schedules executive committee meetings and notifies committee members of the time, date and place of meetings, prepares the agenda, and presides over meetings.
- Keeps the vice-chair and the ALCTS Executive Director informed of all actions and activities by forwarding copies of pertinent documents. Whenever division policy matters are involved, copies are also sent to the ALCTS President and President-elect.
- Appoints committee members and chairs, coordinating this activity with the current section and committee chairpersons.
- Makes recommendations to ALCTS President-elect for representatives to Division committees.
- Serves as a voting member of the executive committee and attends all executive committee meetings.
- Attends as many meetings as possible of the section's committees, during the Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference, to assist in planning activities and to become better informed.
- Assesses the needs of the section, and plans the activities and programs to be emphasized during his/her term of office.
- Stands ready to take the chair's place when called upon to do so.
- Performs such other duties as the chair or the executive committee may assign.
- Attends the meeting of appointing officers held at ALA Midwinter Meeting on Saturday morning.
- Attends the Monday ALCTS Board of Directors meeting at Annual Conference.
- Serves as a voting member of the section executive committee and attends all section executive committee meetings.
- Schedules Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference meetings (in some sections).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Takes attendance and records minutes at executive committee meetings and submits the minutes to members of the executive committee and ALCTS office.
- Maintains records and forwards them to successor immediately after leaving office.
- Tallies votes as needed.
- Manages executive committee documents as needed.
- Performs such other duties as the chair and the executive committee as a whole directs.
- Acts as section webmaster if so designated.