Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Each of the four linear phases includes a list of tasks and responsibilities both mentor and mentee should undertake to ensure a positive, productive mentoring experience. This technology-neutral framework is used for the ALCTS Mentoring Program combined with additional readings and guidance to customize the experience.
This Mentoring Framework was developed by the 2015 ALA Emerging Leaders as part of their project for ALCTS.
- Reflect on why you want to be a mentor
- Identify mentoring goals
- Discuss time commitment and communication modes
- Share a personal assessment
- Review mentee's application and prepare questions
- Clarify expectations - have a written agreement
- Plan for closure at the beginning
- Review goals and share your own
- Focus on relationship building
- Review key mentor skills
- Ask questions for deeper understanding
- Identify opportunities
- Hold mentee accountable
- Give constructive feedback
- Help mentee identify next goal
- Plan for closure
- Reflect on growth and goals
- Celebrate successes
- Discuss future and mentee's next goal